Read the COVID-19 International Student Updates FAQ
The campus and office is currently closed but we are open "virtually" to meet all your needs.
Coming to the U.S. from Overseas: 14-day Quarantine!
About Housing this Fall 2020:
- International students are eligible to apply for on-campus housing with Residence Life. Be certain to write “INTERNATIONAL STUDENT” on your application and submit asap. The original July 1 deadline has been waived for international students and an F-1 student will be given priority review. Residence Life will provide self-quarantine facilities for 14-days prior to a student moving into the assigned residence hall for the full semester. Move in dates have been scheduled for August 24th -27th.
Dedicated support for all international students.
The Office of International Students and Scholars is dedicated to providing social support and immigration advisement for the well being of international students who attend Cal Lutheran.
We offer immigration advisement, workshops, and social activities for international students. We also serve as an educational resource for students, faculty and staff. Programs and activities sponsored by the Office encourage international and American students to interact in order to provide an enriched campus community for all.
Severe Economic Hardship Work Permit
Students who are experiencing an unforeseen economic hardship who have completed a full academic year in F-1 visa status can apply for employment authorization to work off-campus part-time while school is in session and full-time during academic breaks. The processing time takes 3-5 months and the applicant must be able to provide evidence that a financial hardship has occured. Annual renewal is possible if the situation persists.
Optional Practical Training
OPT STEM extension requirements!
Your major must be eligible for the STEM OPT as determined by the Department of Homeland Security's approved list of majors that appear on the Department of Education CIP Code list of STEM majors. Read more about the determination of STEM eligible majors at Study in the States .
Here's the process:
1. About 90 days before the end of your first 12 months of OPT, you should have your qualified employer complete the I-983 Training Program document. (See instructions and form below)
2. Turn in the completed I-983 for pre-approval to OISS at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Once your I-983 is approved, collect all the items on the STEM OPT checklist (see below)
4. Schedule your phone application appointment by using the link button below.
We have clubs and organizations focused on international cultures that all students are invited to join: For everyone's safety, active clubs will meet virtually this fall 2020.
Saudi Student Association
Clubs can receive funding for their cultural programs from multiple sources including ASCLU-G Clubs and Organizations funding, Center for Cultural Engagement and Inclusion in Student Life, the Center for Global Engagement and Campus Diversity Initiative Mini-grants.
See complete listing of Clubs and Organizations.
We're here to help you feel more informed about life here at Cal Lutheran and in the U.S.
Update Student Profile
At the start of each term, you need to turn in a completed Current Student Profile form.
Update OPT Registration
Report your current address or employment while on OPT.